Brie Stuffed Chicken
Looking for a healthy and delicious chicken recipe? This brie stuffed chicken with blackberry compote is a fun and Healthyish riff on the Swiss classic, chicken cordon bleu. Except this version is much lighter and healthier than its Swiss counterpart. Perfect for weeknights, yet fancy enough for dinner parties, you’re going to love this brie stuffed chicken recipe.
About this recipe
Traditionally, chicken cordon bleu is meat (chicken and ham) and cheese rolled together and pan or deep fried. Instead of ham, this brie stuffed chicken recipe calls for nutrient dense spinach. Baking the chicken vs. deep frying is also a great way to keep things light. Topped with a flavorful blackberry compote, this stuffed chicken recipe is hard to beat.
Make sure you butterfly your chicken breasts so they cook evenly and are easy to roll. If the breast meat is too thick you will not be able to roll it. To butterfly the breasts, simply lay the chicken breast flat on a cutting board. using a sharp knife, carefully slice the breast in half. This will give you two thin cuts of chicken versus one thick cut. If it is still too thick, simply pound the butterflied meat with a mallet.
Store any leftover brie stuffed chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, simply add the chicken to a microwave safe dish and microwave until warmed through. Try enjoying this recipe with simple salad and homemade garlic knots for a delicious weeknight meal.
Brie Stuffed Chicken
- 1 lb. chicken breasts – about 2 breasts , butterfly to make 4 thin breasts
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach , remove stems
- 4 ounces brie , sliced thin – about 1 ounce per slice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, season the chicken
- 12 oz fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- baking dish
- plate for the breadcrumbs
- toothpicks to secure the stuffed chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spray a 9×5-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Prepare the blackberry compote:
- In a sauce pan, combine the blackberries, brown sugar, vinegar, and lemon juice. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes. Frequently stir the mixture to prevent burning or overcooking. When the compote is a jam like texture, turn off heat and set aside.
Prepare the chicken:
- Butterfly and pound chicken breasts to ¼ inch thickness. You'll have 4 thin breasts.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Place 1 slice of brie cheese and some of the baby spinach on top of each breast. Roll the chicken closed.
- Add the plain breadcrumbs to a plate. Dust or roll the stuffed chicken through the plain breadcrumbs.
- Secure the rolled chicken with a toothpick.
- Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish. Lightly spray the breaded chicken with olive oil cooking spray. This will help it to brown in the oven.
Cook the stuffed chicken:
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through. You'll want the internal temperature of the chicken to be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the dish from the oven, remove foil and toothpicks.
- Spoon the blackberry compote on top of each breast.
- Serve hot and enjoy!