Breaded Chicken Cutlet Sandwich
This breaded chicken cutlet sandwich is loaded with Italian favorites like, fresh mozzarella, Delallo Foods’ pesto, chopped fresh spinach salad, and Delallo Foods’ bruschetta. Honestly, this might be the best breaded chicken cutlet sandwich I’ve ever had.
About this Chicken Cutlet Sandwich Recipe
Just when you thought this breaded chicken cutlet sandwich couldn’t be any more amazing, it’s tucked between homemade Syrian bread brushed with olive oil and toasted. Don’t worry, if you do not have homemade Syrian bread handy, ciabatta or focaccia will work perfectly! Just be sure to brush the center of the bread with oil or butter and toast it in a pan before loading it up.
When you bite into this chicken cutlet sandwich you are in for such a treat. The chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy in the center. The cheese is perfectly melted and tastes so great with the spinach salad, pesto and roasted peppers.
If you’re in the mood for spice, add a few red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce. For a lower carb version, enjoy this sandwich open faced with a knife and fork. No matter how you slice it, this chicken cutlet sandwich is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
How to Make Chicken Cutlets
When prepping the chicken breasts, butterfly both breasts if they are too thick. Once they are butterflied or sliced in half, be sure to pound the chicken in a Ziplock bag so it is even thickness. This will allow it to cook more quickly and evenly in the pan. Once the chicken is pan fried, finish cooking it in the oven. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness.
Store any leftover chicken cutlets covered in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat the cutlet in the microwave until they’re heated through. This recipe makes two to four sandwiches. Please see below for nutritional information.
Breaded Chicken Cutlet Sandwich
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, butterfly and pound thin
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella , sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons Delallo Foods’ pesto , divided
- ¼ cup Delallo Foods’ bruschetta , drain the oil and just use the peppers
- 1 cup vegetable oil , for pan frying the chicken
- ½ cup AP flour, all purpose
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- ¾ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- ¼ cup shallots, diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- medium skillet
- baking dish
- cutting board
- mixing bowl
- 3 plates
- 2 ziploc bags
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab an oven-safe baing dish and set it aside.
- Butterfly the chicken. Next, using a mallet, pound the chicken breasts until they about ½ -1 inch thick.
- Once the breasts are pounded thin, you’ll run them through a breading station.
Setup Breading Station
- Grab 3 plates.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to the first plate. Add the whisked egg and milk to the second plate and stir until well combined.
- On the third plate, combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- First, dredge the chicken breasts through the flour mixture. Make sure it is well covered. Next, dredge it through the egg wash.
- Finally, dredge it through the breadcrumb / cheese mixture. Make sure the entire chicken breasts is well coated.
Pan Fry Chicken
- Add the vegetable oil to a medium-sized skillet over medium/high heat. You’ll want the oil to be hot, but not smoking.
- Once the oil is hot, add the breaded chicken one piece at a time. Cook each breast until it is crispy on both sides. Repeat.
- Once golden-brown, place the chicken on a paper towel to absorb and excess oil. Next, place the pan fried chicken in an oven safe baking dish, top it with a few slices of mozzarella cheese and cover it with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Prepare the Toppings and Bread
- While the chicken is baking, assemble the toppings and prepare the bread.
- Brush the inside of your bread with olive oil or butter and toast it in a hot pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the bread is toasted to perfection, remove it from the pan.
- Using a brush or the back of a spoon, smear the pesto on one side of the bread.
- Next, drain the oil off of the bruschetta mixture and set the peppers aside.
- Then, grab a cutting board and chop the spinach into small pieces.
- Add the chopped spinach into a mixing bowl, and combine it with the lemon juice, olive oil, diced shallots, salt and cracked black pepper. Toss the salad until it is well combined. Set aside.
Assemble the Sandwiches
- Take the toasted bread slices brushed with pesto and place the cheesy breaded chicken cutlets on top. One piece of chicken per sandwich.
- Next, add the bruschetta peppers and spinach salad. Top with the second half of the bread and enjoy.