When you’re in the mood for a crispy chicken sandwich, I’ve got just the recipe for you! This breaded chicken cutlet sandwich is loaded with Italian favorites like, fresh mozzarella, Delallo Foods’ pesto, chopped fresh spinach salad, and Delallo Foods’ bruschetta. The bruschetta is essentially roasted peppers marinated in a delicious oil and jarred.
Just when you thought this breaded chicken cutlet sandwich couldn’t be any more amazing, it’s loaded between toasted homemade Syrian bread brushed with olive oil. Don’t worry, if you do not have homemade Syrian bread handy, ciabatta or focaccia will work perfectly!
When you bite into this sandwich you are in for such a treat! The chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy in the center. The cheese is perfectly melted and tastes so great with the spinach salad, pesto and roasted peppers. If you’re in the mood for spice, add a few red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce. For a lower carb version, enjoy this sandwich open faced with a knife and fork. No matter how you slice it, this sandwich is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
Breaded Chicken Cutlet Sandwich
- medium skillet
- baking dish
- cutting board
- mixing bowl
- 3 plates
- 2 ziploc bags
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts
- Fresh sliced mozzarella as much as you like
- 2 tablespoons Delallo Foods’ pesto divided
- ¼ cup Delallo Foods’ bruschetta drain the oil and just use the peppers
- 1 cup vegetable oil for pan frying the chicken
- ½ cup AP flour cornstarch will work fine too
- ½ teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 large egg whisked
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- ¾ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces bag of baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- ¼ cup shallots diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab an oven-safe baing dish and set it aside.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the package, and place them in a Ziploc bag one at a time.
- Using a mallet, pound the chicken breasts until they about ½ -1 inch thick.
- Once the breasts are pounded thin, you’ll run them through a breading station.
Setup breading station:
- Grab 3 plates.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to the first plate. Add the whisked egg and milk to the second plate and stir until well combined.
- On the third plate you’ll combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- First, you’ll dredge the chicken breasts through the flour mixture. Make sure it is well covered. Next, you’ll dredge it through the egg wash.
- Finally, you’ll dredge it through the breadcrumb / cheese mixture. Make sure the entire chicken breasts is well coated.
Pan fry the chicken:
- Add the vegetable oil to a medium sized skillet over medium/high heat. You’ll want the oil to be hot, but not smoking.
- Once the oil is hot, you’ll add the breaded chicken breasts into the oil one piece at a time. Cook each breast until it is crispy on both sides. Repeat for both breasts.
- Once both breasts are golden-brown, place them on a paper towel to absorb and excess oil. Next, you'll place the chicken in an oven safe baking dish, top it with a few slices of mozzarella cheese and cover it with foil.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through. For extra crispy and melty cheese, remove the foil and broil the entire dish for 1-2 minutes.
Prepare the toppings and bread:
- While the chicken is baking, we will begin to assemble the toppings and prepare the bread.
- Take your bread of choice and brush it with a light coating of olive oil.
- Place the bread in a hot skillet, olive oil side down. Toast the bread for a few minutes in the pan until a golden-brown sear begins to form.
- Once the bread is toasted to perfection, remove it from the pan.
- Using a brush or the back of a spoon, smear the pesto on one slice of the bread. One side is plenty.
- Next, you’ll want to drain the oil off of the bruschetta and set the peppers aside.
- Then, you’ll grab a cutting board and chop the spinach into small pieces.
- Add the chopped spinach into a mixing bowl, and combine it with the lemon juice, olive oil, diced shallots, salt and cracked black pepper. Toss the salad until it is well combined. Set aside.
Once the chicken is ready, you’ll assemble the sandwiches:
- Take the toasted bread slices brushed with pesto and place the cheesy breaded chicken cutlets on top. One piece of chicken per each sandwich.
- Next, you’ll load the bruschetta peppers on top of the melted mozzarella cheese.
- Finish the sandwiches with a handful of the spinach salad and the remaining slice of toasted bread.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!