It’s definitely hip to be square! Ok, I am showing my age. But these blueberry muffin breakfast squares are such a delicious way to start the day. Imagine a muffin and a moist cake having a baby. That’s the best way to describe this recipe. It’s incredible!
These blueberry muffin breakfast squares are light, fluffy, and perfectly moist in the center. In fact, you can enjoy them for breakfast, brunch or even dessert! If you do decide to enjoy one for dessert, try adding a little fresh whipped cream for an extra pop of flavor. What’s also great is that this recipe is made from clean ingredients, so you can feel good serving these square to your family any time of the day!
For a Healthyish twist, I added fresh blueberries into my batter. However, you could use chocolate chips or nuts instead. Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee and perhaps some fresh sliced fruit. This recipe is so delicious your family will have it on repeat in no time!
Blueberry Muffin Breakfast Squares
- 8×8 baking dish – glass or metal only
- 2 cups AP flour I did NOT test any other flours with this recipe
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup 2%milk
- 3 tablespoons soft room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8×8 glass or metal baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the AP flour, baking soda, cane sugar, and salt into a bowl. Stir it until well combined.
- In a separate bowl add one lightly beaten egg, oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Gently whisk ingredients together.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk them together. Add the room temperature butter into the batter and mix using a whisk until everything is well combined.
- Gently fold in the fresh blueberries using a spatula. This will prevent them from breaking.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Spread the batter evenly and bake for 43-44 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!