Beans and Greens
Loaded with nutrient-dense vegetables, this beans and greens recipe is almost addicting. The sauce is light and flavorful while the veggies offer a ton of healthy vitamins our bodies crave. Perfect any night of the week, this easy beans and greens recipe will keep you satisfied and coming back for more.
About this beans and greens recipe
What I love most about this beans and greens recipe is how easy it is to make. You only need one pan, and 40 minutes until you’ll have a delicious dinner. Enjoy this dish with a side of buttery garlic toast. However, a side of pasta would work well too. For a lighter version, skip the bread and pasta entirely.
When prepping this beans and greens recipe, you’ll want to slice the Italian chicken sausage into coins. This makes it easier to eat. Since most chicken sausage is already cooked, you’ll just want to make sure it’s heated through before enjoying. Alternatively, you could add ground Italian sausage to this recipe as well. However, you’ll need to saute it in a separate pan, and drain off any excess fat before adding it to this recipe. Personally, I like using the Italian chicken sausage because its is easier to work with and a little better for you.
This beans and greens recipe makes five light appetizer servings and 3-4 dinner servings. Please see below for the nutritional information. Also, please leave a review if you enjoy this dish. I always appreciate hearing your thoughts and feedback on my recipes.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more delicious recipes? Try my homemade wedding soup or my plant based tofu parmesan.
Beans and Greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice, 28 ounce can
- 1 can ranchero beans, 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 1 can cannellini beans, 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 6-8 leaves kale, remove stem, chop into small pieces and massage
- 1 cup chicken stock , vegetable stock works well too
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 links Italian chicken sausage, Smart Chicken brand is delicious
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3.5 quart saute pan
- Grab a 3.5-quart sauté pan and place it over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, butter, diced onion and garlic to the pan.
- Once the onions are translucent, add 1 can of diced tomatoes with the juice.
- Add one cup of chicken or vegetable stock.
- Next, you’ll add the rinsed and drained cannellini and ranchero beans. Stir well.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Then, you’ll add the sliced chicken sausage coins, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Stir well.
- As a final step, you’ll add the chopped kale. Let everything simmer over medium low heat until the kale is tender.
- Top with remaining parmesan cheese and serve hot.