Beans and Greens
Loaded with nutrient-dense vegetables, this beans and greens recipe is almost addicting. The sauce is light and flavorful while the veggies offer a ton of healthy vitamins our bodies crave. Perfect any night of the week, this recipe will keep you satisfied and coming back for more. Even your veggie hating family members will enjoy this tasty dish.
What I love most about this beans and greens recipe is how easy it is to make. You only need one pan, and 40 minutes until you’ll have a delicious dinner. I enjoyed mine with a side of garlic toast but you could also add a side of pasta. For a lighter version, you can skip the bread and pasta all together.
To make this recipe vegetarian, simply skip the chicken sausage. Alternatively, you could add tofu. To make this recipe vegan, use veggie broth instead of chicken broth, leave out the chicken sausage, skip the parmesan cheese or use vegan instead, and use vegan butter vs regular. This will give you an entirely vegan recipe. You could add you favorite vegan meat substitute too for a hearty dish!
Beans and Greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter – you can use vegan too
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice , 28 ounce can
- 1 can ranchero beans – rinsed and drained , 15 ounce can
- 1 can cannellini beans – rinsed and drained , 15 ounce can
- 6-8 leaves kale – remove the stems and chop the leaves into small bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock or veggie stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice – fresh squeezed
- 2 links Italian chicken sausage- I used Boar’s Head Italian sausage sliced into coins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Few turns cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes – optional
- 3.5 quart saute pan
- Grab a 3.5-quart sauté pan with sides.
- Over medium heat add the olive oil, butter, diced onion and garlic to the pan.
- Once the onions become translucent, add 1 can of diced tomatoes with the juice.
- Add one cup of chicken or veggie stock.
- Next, you’ll add the rinsed and drained cannellini and ranchero beans. Stir well.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Then, you’ll add the sliced chicken sausage, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. Stir well.
- As a final step, you’ll add the chopped kale. Let everything simmer over medium low heat until the kale is tender.
- Top with extra parmesan cheese and serve hot.