BBQ Chicken Meatballs
These BBQ chicken meatballs are so good you’ll never need another BBQ chicken meatball recipe again. The homemade BBQ sauce is tangy, sweet and delicious. Which tastes so good smothered over the juicy chicken meatballs. Perfect as aa party appetizer or as a tasty weeknight meal, these BBQ chicken meatballs are guaranteed to be a hit.
About this recipe
This BBQ sauce recipe has been in my family for years and has been passed all the way down to me. Its origin is Western Pennsylvania and while we might not be known for homemade BBQ sauce, this recipe could definitely change that.
When prepping the meatballs, be sure to combine all of the ingredients and mix it together using your hands. Try not to overwork the meat otherwise the bbq chicken meatballs with get more dense. I was able to get 12 medium sized meatballs out of this recipe but you could also make 25-30 mini meatballs too. Bake the meatballs for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure to turn the meatballs occasionally so that they do not get too brown on one side.
Once fully cooked, add the meatballs to the homemade BBQ sauce. Toss them in the sauce until they are well coated. Serve them warm with toothpicks for easy lifting. Or you can serve them alongside my simple summer pasta salad or my ditalini pasta salad.
This recipe makes 12 medium sized BBQ chicken meatballs. Please see below for nutritional information. The nutritional information reflects the meatballs and the homemade BBQ sauce.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for four to five days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. If you decide to freeze these meatballs, be sure to freeze them plain, no sauce. They’ll last 30-60 days in an airtight freezer bag. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight.
BBQ Chicken Meatballs
Crazy Good BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, salted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup white onion, diced small
- ½ cup celery, diced small, about two stalks
- 1 cup green pepper, diced small, about 1 green pepper
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon, apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- few turns cracked black pepper , to taste
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- baking tray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set it aside.
Prepare the BBQ sauce:
- In a large saucepan, add the butter, onions, celery and garlic. Sweat until the onions and celery begin to brown.
- Next, you will add everything else including, the green pepper, ketchup, dry mustard, water, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, cracked black pepper and liquid smoke. Simmer over low heat for 30 – 35 minutes.
Prepare the meatballs:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and dried parsley. Mix until well combined. Don't overwork the meat.
- Roll the chicken mixture into evenly sized meatballs. I was able to get 12 medium sized meatballs from my mixture. Place the meatballs on the prepared baking tray and cook them for 25-30 minutes or until they reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make sure to turn them halfway so they do not get too brown on one side. Cooking time will depend on the size of your meatballs.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and toss them in the BBQ sauce. Serve warm.
2 Comments on “BBQ Chicken Meatballs”
Ohhh so yummy!!! The sauce is worth the extra effort, it’s SO good with the the meatballs!
This recipe is AMAZING! These chicken meatballs are incredible and could easily be eaten on their own, but paired with the BBQ sauce, they are even more tasty! The BBQ sauce will be on rotation at our house and my new go-to!