Who says you can’t have fun with food? Try these baked mini vanilla cake donuts for the tastiest and cutest way to start your day. Perfect for brunch, breakfast or a quick, poppable snack, these mini vanilla cake donuts are almost too cute to eat!
I was able to make 24 mini donuts which sounds like a lot, but they are about the size of a silver dollar. They have a moist fluffy texture and taste great with the simple vanilla glaze.
Personally, I like to enjoy them with a cup of coffee or as a sweet treat throughout the day. The only thing I would advise against is adding extra sprinkles into the batter. Adding the extra sprinkles made the batter a little too sweet for my liking.
Fun fact: this is the vanilla cake recipe I use to sell in-stores. It tastes so great and is made from a few simple, tasty ingredients.
Baked Mini Vanilla Cake Donuts
- baking tray
- mini donut tray
- piping bag
- 3 mixing bowls
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup AP flour I did NOT test any other flours
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- GENTLY spray your mini donut tray with baking spray. A light coating goes a long way. Set aside.
- Grab two mixing bowls.
- Add the cane sugar and vanilla flavor to one bowl. Whisk together. This is called plating your sugar.
- In that same bowl add the room temperature unsalted butter and 1 egg. Mix until everything is well combined.
- In a second bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until your batter forms.
- Next, you’ll pour the batter into a piping bag.
- Gently squeeze the batter into the mini donut tray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. I was able to get two batches of 12 mini donuts.
- Prepare the vanilla glaze while the first batch of mini donuts are baking.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Whisk until the glaze forms.
- Once the donuts are cool, gently dip them (face down) into the batter. You will not fully submerge them, just a light dip that covers half of the donut. Top with a few sprinkles and set aside.
- Repeat this process until all of the mini donuts are glazed and sprinkled.
- Serve and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!