This baked harissa chicken can be made with one sheet pan and is loaded with flavor. This recipe is perfect for those nights when you want to break out of your regular routine, but don’t have a ton of time.
This baked harissa chicken checks all the boxes! It’s slightly spicy, sweet and loaded with protein. I served mine on a bed of white rice and topped it with crumbled feta and scallions.
You can also enjoy this recipe with some toasted garlic naan bread! As a third option, you can simply enjoy the chicken and veggies on their own. No matter how you serve it, you’re going to love this recipe!
Not familiar with harissa? Harissa is a spice paste made from five simple ingredients. Those ingredients include, garlic, salt, spices, and red chili peppers. In my opinion, the flavor is very similar to a chipotle flavor, which I am obsessed with! I love using Kartago brand harissa because of their simple, clean ingredients.
Kartago Foods is a family owned business and they’ve been working in the Mediterranean food industry for over 200 years. They manufacture high-quality, delicious products and you can definitely taste the love and dedication in everything they make.
For this recipe, I made an incredible harissa vinaigrette. It’s perfect for marinating the chicken and veggies. You could also use this harissa vinaigrette on salmon or salads too!
Looking for more tasty harissa recipes? Try my creamy harissa pasta! It’s creamy, cozy and perfect for Fall!
Baked Harissa Chicken
- sheet pan
- 1 tablespoon Kartago harissa
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 18-20 small carrots cleaned and peeled
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces cooked white rice I used 3 single serving cups of the minute rice they are about 4 ounces each
- 1 lb. chicken breasts about 2 breasts
- 2 lemons sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Chopped fresh scallions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Gently spray a sheet pan with cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the harissa paste, olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Next, you’ll clean and peel your carrots. Place them on the baking tray once they are prepared.
- Next, you’ll drain and rinse a can of chickpeas. Add them to the baking tray with the carrots.
- Drizzle the carrots and chickpeas with olive oil. Toss them so they are well coated.
- Then, you’ll gently pound your chicken breasts. This will help the chicekn to cook evenly and more quickly. Place the breasts on the baking tray.
- Season everything on the tray with salt and pepper.
- Lay a few slices of lemon on the chicken.
- Next, you’ll drizzle the harissa vinaigrette over everything. This includes the carrots, chickpeas, chicken breasts and lemon slices.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken and veggies are baking you can prepare the rice. I used minute rice because it is quick and easy.
- For this recipe I used 12 ounces of white rice, which is 3 of the minute rice single serving cups.
- Place the cooked rice on a platter.
- Once the chicken and veggies are ready, you can simply add them to the platter with the rice.
- Finish the dish with some crumbled feta cheese and fresh chopped scallions.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer and creator of the brand, Healthyish Foods®. Sarah makes plant-based, fish and chicken recipes that are simple and delicious. Her work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital), Women’s Health Magazine (digital) and Mind Body Green. Sarah is a Pittsburgh, PA native but currently lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!