Baked Enchilada Chicken
Loaded with nutrient-dense veggies, this baked enchilada chicken recipe needs to be added to your meal plan. Easy to prepare, loaded with flavor and delicious this dish is hard to beat. As an added bonus, you only need one pan. Perfect any night of the week, this recipe is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
I absolutely love this recipe. The sauce is perfectly creamy and silky with just the right amount of spice. Add in all of the delicious veggies and this recipe is a winner. For a lower carb dinner, you can enjoy this dish as is.
Or, you can try adding some rice or tortillas for a heartier meal. Shred the chicken and you’re all set for a delicious taco night at home. Another option, is to cube the chicken and add it to some pasta for a baked enchilada chicken casserole. What’s great, is that there are so many ways to reinvent this recipe; making this the perfect meal prep item for the week ahead.
Baked Enchilada Chicken
- 2 lbs. chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup white or yellow onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chicken or veggie stock
- 1 can red enchilada sauce – 15 ounces
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese, regular will work too
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- avocado sliced
- fresh chopped cilantro
- jalapeno slices
- fresh lime wedges
- sour cream
- 11-inch or 3.5 quart oven-safe saute pan with lid
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab an 11 inch / 3.5 quart oven-safe saute pan and gently spray it baking spray.
- Add two tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
Prepare the chicken:
- Butterfly your chicken breasts if they are very thick. Then toss them with the spice blend. Garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add them to the pan with the olive oil and cook them for 5-6 minutes on each side. Once they have a light sear on both sides, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- In the same pan, add the minced garlic, diced onion and red bell pepper. Simmer until the veggies begin to soften.
- Next, you’ll add the corn kernels and black beans. Stir well.
- Then, you will deglaze the pan with the veggie or chicken stock. Be sure to scrape up all of the tiny bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Next, you’ll add the enchilada sauce and cream cheese. Stir well.
- Once the sauce is well combined, nestle the chicken back into the sauce.
- Top with some shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Top the pan with a lid, and finish cooking the chicken in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy!