Baked Enchilada Chicken
Loaded with nutrient-dense veggies, this baked enchilada chicken recipe needs to be added to your meal plan. Easy to prepare, loaded with flavor and delicious this dish is hard to beat. As an added bonus, you only need one pan which makes clean up a breeze. Perfect any night of the week, this baked enchilada recipe is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
About this Baked Enchilada Chicken Recipe
When prepping this recipe, be sure to butterfly or pound your chicken breasts. Butterflying simply means you cut a thick chicken breast in half, leaving you two thinner pieces. If you decide to pound the chicken breasts instead, be sure to use a mallet. Both techniques will allow the chicken to cook evenly and more quickly.
Next, you’ll want to combine the spice blend in a small mixing bowl. Generously rub the chicken in this delicious blend before adding it to the pan. Sear on both sides until they have a golden brown sear. You will finish cooking the chicken in the oven. Be sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure doneness. Also, be sure to use an over safe pan that has a lid.
For this baked enchilada chicken recipe, you’ll only need one pan. Once the chicken is seared, remove it from the pan and start the sauce. Be sure to scrape up all of the tasty pieces of chicken from the pan when you’re making the sauce. Nestle the chicken back into the sauce and vegetables, top with shredded cheese, cover and bake until the chicken is cooked through.
This recipe makes four light dinner servings or two dinner servings. Please see below for nutritional information. The nutritional information reflects the spice rubbed chicken, vegetables, cheese and sauce. Not the extra toppings.
Leftover Enchilada Chicken
Leftover chicken can be shredded and used for a tasty taco night at home. The sauce and spices tastes amazing stuffed inside of a hard or soft shell taco. Another way to use any leftovers is to cube the chicken and add it to cooked pasta. This is a fun and flavorful twist on baked chicken enchilada casserole.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. Looking for more delicious recipes? Try my chicken enchilada pasta or my spicy tahini noodles with crispy tofu.
Baked Enchilada Chicken
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, about 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper, to taste
Sauce and veggies:
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 can red enchilada sauce, 15 ounce can
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese, regular will work too
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- avocado sliced
- fresh chopped cilantro
- jalapeno slices
- fresh lime wedges
- sour cream
- 11-inch or 3.5 quart oven-safe saucepan with lid
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab an 11 inch / 3.5 quart oven-safe saucepan and gently spray it baking spray.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and place it over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the spice blend.
Prepare the chicken:
- Butterfly your chicken breasts and rub them with the spice blend.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Once seared on both sides, remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- In the same pan, add the minced garlic, diced onion and red bell pepper. Saute until the veggies begin to soften.
- Next, add the corn kernels and black beans. Stir well.
- Then, deglaze the pan with the chicken stock. Be sure to scrape up all of the tiny bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add the enchilada sauce and cream cheese. Stir well.
- Once the sauce is well combined, nestle the chicken back into the sauce.
- Top with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with a lid, and finish cooking the the entire dish in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degree Fahrenheit.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy! Suggest toppings listed above.