French fries with cheese sauce might be one of my favorite foods of all time. (and trust me I enjoy my fair share) But since it probably isn’t best to eat chili cheese fries every week, this recipe is an AMAZING and Healthyish substitute. Perfect for Super Bowl snacking too!
For starters, we replaced the potatoes with fresh avocado slices. Then we dusted the avocado slices with homemade breadcrumbs, parmesan, and chili seasoning vs. loading them with meaty chili. Instead of cheese sauce we made a light and healthy yogurt lime dipping sauce. It’s so refreshing and tastes great with the heat from the chili seasoning. Finally, instead of deep frying we baked our avocado fries in the oven for that perfectly crispy outside and soft center. Seriously delicious.
Fun Fact: Avocados are a fruit, not a vegetable. And they have been known to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
So, let’s get started.
What You’ll Need: Makes 24 fries
- 4 gently ripened avocados
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 cups of homemade breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Juice from 1 lemon
Yogurt Lime Dipping Sauce:
- 3 ripe limes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
Chili Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Gently spray a cooking tray with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Cut your avocados in half and take out the seeds.
- Gently remove the skin using a spoon and cover them in lemon juice. The lemon juice will help prevent browning when they bake.
- Next, you will whisk together 2 eggs in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the breadcrumbs, chili spice blend, and parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Now you are ready to begin making your fries.
- Slice your avocado into wedges. I was able to get 3 wedges per half of an avocado – so 6 wedges per avocado. You might get more if your avocados are larger.
- Next, you will dip the avocado fry into the egg wash, then into the breadcrumb / chili spice / cheese mixture. Continue until all of your fries are breaded.
- Place them on the cooking tray and bake for 15 – 17 minutes at 350 degrees. Be sure to turn them halfway through baking.
- While they bake you will mix up your yogurt lime dipping sauce. Simply combine the juice from 2 limes, 1 cup of Greek yogurt and fresh scallions. Mix well.
- Once the fries are ready serve immediately! Best if eaten once they cool down.
- Squeeze your extra lime on the fries for added flavor!
Author: Sarah Thomas-DrawbaughSarah Thomas-Drawbaugh is a recipe developer, fitness junkie and owner of the Healthyish brand. She loves taking everyday eats and making them Healthyish. Sarah defines being Healthyish as a lifestyle centered around living light, fit and fun with a healthy dose of “ISH” from time to time. Sarah’s work can be seen in Healthy-ish by Bon Appetit and Bon Appetit Magazine (digital). Sarah lives in Vail, Colorado with her husband, Dan and rescue dog, Graci!